Acne also called pimples is a skin condition that is characterized by pimples, scarring and spots on parts of the body especially the face. It happens when oil from the skin and dead skin cells clogs hair follicles. It is a chronic and inflammatory skin disease, though it is not dangerous, it leaves scars on the sufferer; in some cases it lowers self-esteem, cause depression, anxiety and in severe cases suicidal thoughts. As of 2015, it was said to affect 633 million people worldwide especially teenagers and young adults and it affects 50 million Americans yearly.
The causative factors for acne include genetics, lifestyle, medication side effects, stress, hormones, using oil based makeup, menstruation, infection, squeezing pimples, scrubbing the skin hard and diet. They are several ways to get rid of acne even the severe and persistent ones; and that is what we are going to look at, from the medical way to the natural way.
Getting Rid of Acne Medically
Doctors and dermatologists offer oral drugs, anti-biotic, creams, gel, corticosteroid injections, topical antimicrobials, oral contraceptives, Accutane and many more other options. I suggest you go for medical help when the acne is a severe one because these treatments are very fast but their side effects are very bad. Even the tube creams are known to weaken the immune system. Doctors regard most of these drugs especially Accutane as “last choice” treatment for patients that did not respond to conventional treatment, and patients who are prescribed Accutane are under constant monitoring and they sign a form claiming responsibility for the risks before being given the drug. Medical help should only be used for severe acne but mild to moderate acne can be handled naturally with best results without side effects.
Getting Rid of Acne Naturally
This is the best and safest method to get rid of acne, even the stubborn and persistent ones will not be able to withstand the last method I will list here.
- Take good care of your skin: taking good care of the skin can help get rid of acne as infections are one of the causes of acne. Try and wash your face twice a day with warm water and a good soap, do not scrub the skin hard because it will push the infection down causing more redness, swelling and blocking. Avoid the temptation to burst pimples as this will leave injuries and scars. Avoid touching the face and always wash your hands regularly before applying makeup, creams or lotions. Avoid tight clothing to enable the skin to breath, and wash your clothes regularly. Try to avoid sweating by keeping cool and dry. Don’t sleep with your makeup still on. Regularly clean any object that you bring close to your skin because they collect sebum and skin residues; examples of such objects are spectacles and phones. You can hold your phone away from the face when talking.
- Choose non-greasy makeup product: avoid oil based products, choose makeup for sensitive skin. Avoid greasy hair products such as cocoa butter as it can aid the hair in collecting sebum and skin residues.
- Avoid anxiety and stress: anxiety and stress can worsen acne because they increase the production of adrenaline and cortisol. Stress is also said to affect all organs in the body and the skin is the largest organ of our body. Try to avoid a stressful lifestyle and get enough sleep because sleep is the best stress reliever. During sleep, healing happens.
- Change diet: although there is still debate as to whether food causes acne or not, though it is not fully accepted, some research and studies have proved that some food actually makes acne worse in those that already have them. Examples of such foods are soft drinks, sugar in all its forms and names and white flour products. Sugar increase insulin level and this reaction lead to an inflammation on the skin and clogs up the pores. Take lots of water to hydrate the skin and flush out toxins from the skin. Take lots of omega-3-fatty acids as they help in reducing skin inflammation; good sources of omega-3-fatty acids are flaxseeds and its oil, almonds, walnuts, sardines, salmons etc.
- Change lifestyle: avoid excessive sun exposure especially if you are on acne medication because increases the risk of you having sunburn, also excessive sunlight makes the skin produce more sebum. Exercise daily as this reduce the risk of infections that causes acne and exercise increase blood flow to the skin which removes dead skin cells and gives a feeling of relieve.
- Use natural facemasks: natural facemasks are powerful in fighting inflammation, bacteria, oxidation and acne. I will list three natural facemasks that will help combat acne. Avoid the eyes when applying facemasks.
THREE EFFECTIVE FACEMASKS THAT FIGHT ACNE
- HONEY AND LEMON: mix one table spoon of honey with one juice of a whole lemon; apply it on face and leave it for 15 minutes or you can wash it when you start to feel a tingling sensation. The lemon clears the scars and fights new outbreak of acne while the honey smoothens the skin and makes it to glow. Keep the remaining one and use it 3 times a week.
- YOGURT AND HONEY: mix one table spoon of yogurt with one teaspoon of honey and apply to the face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash later with warm water.
- HONEY AND CINNAMON: mix two tablespoon of honey with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon with teaspoon of coconut oil. Spread it over the face and let it stay for 10-15 minutes, then you wash with warm water.
Oily skin are prone to acne more than any other skin types, below are three face masks that helps combat oily skin.
THREE EFFECTIVE FACEMASKS TO CONTROL OILY SKIN
- BANANA AND HONEY: use one fully ripe banana and 1 table spoon of honey. Mash them together and add 1 table spoon of lemon or orange juice. Apply on the face and leave it for 15 minutes then you rinse with warm water.
- ORANGE PEEL: take some orange peel, dry them and ground them to powder then you either mix it with water or yogurt. Apply on face and leave for 15 minutes then rinse with clean warm water. This removes extra oil from the skin and opens the pores for cleaning. So to close the pores back, apply cold water on your face or honey.
- TOMATOE JUICE: applying the juice of tomatoes on your face not only manages oily skin, it removes extra oil and close skin pores. Apply on the face and leave for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
If you done all this and it has not worked, there is one more thing that even the most stubborn acne cannot resist.
- Change your thought or thinking pattern: it has been believed a long time ago and science is beginning to prove that every physical condition has a corresponding mental state; that all diseases originate from the thought. When the mental state of an individual is changed, the physical state is also changed and most times this change can be instantaneous. This branch of science is called epigenetics and they believe that 75-98% of mental and physical illnesses come from the thoughts and only 2-25% comes from our genes and environment. This field of study sees your body as a blank page waiting for you to tell it what to do through your thoughts and feelings. It cannot differentiate between good and bad thoughts and emotions, it just automatically convert all your thoughts into results.
What is the thought pattern that causes acne? The metaphysical cause of acne is “not accepting the self; dislike of the self”. This single thought pattern has put millions of people worldwide in the pain of treating and curing acne and its scars.
When someone has this kind of thought, they release an emotion and feeling that the body reads and start acting that way. The person with this thought pattern feels worthless, unloved, unworthy, not perfect, they see themselves as piece of shit, they always compare themselves to someone else or people who they view as perfect or better and when this thought is released, the body picks it, and start acting or showing not perfect, piece of shit, unloved and so on by spoiling the skin especially the face.
To clear even the most stubborn acne, one has to counter this thought with a positive one; you think this way and believe it with all your heart. “I am a divine expression of life and I love and accept myself as I am right now”. See yourself as perfect, everybody is unique; don’t exchange your uniqueness to be someone’s number 2 or duplicate. This thought will get rid of all forms of acne, from the mild to the moderate to the severe ones.
Click here to apply for job vacancies in nigeria